What to do with a bridesmaid dress from a cancelled wedding? - SmallVolvos.com

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Volvo Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Should I...
Return it to Davids for a store credit 7 50.00%
Sell it 6 42.86%
Keep it 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2007, 11:08 AM   #1
stephanie
F1 Driver

Default What to do with a bridesmaid dress from a cancelled wedding?

I was supposed to be a bridesmaid in a wedding in September... welllllllllll lo and behold the wedding got cancelled so now I'm stuck with a $200 dress that I'll never wear.

It came from David's Bridal and since all sales are final, I don't know what I should do... Return it to the store for a full credit or try to sell it locally or on eBay? It's kind of silly to return it to David's since I know I won't be getting married any time soon & it would be pointless to buy a wedding dress at this point. Do any of you engaged girls know how long store credits there last?

If I try to sell it locally or on eBay it's very doubtful I would get anywhere near what I paid for it... BTW here is the dress... I also had to buy the shoes, jewelery, sash & gloves to go with it...

Advertisement

Old 08-02-2007, 12:05 PM   #2
Tiffany
F1 Driver

Send a message via MSN to Tiffany
Default Re: What to do with a bridesmaid dress from a cancelled wedding?

I say sell it. You would be surprised how well something like that can sell on ebay.

I sold my slip and such from my wedding for about what I paid for it. And it sold in 6 days.

[center][url=http://www.xtremevwparts.com]
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:06 PM   #3
laraw
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to laraw

Make the bride pay for it. It's ridiculous when people get stuck with dresses from cancelled weddings.

2007 Mazdaspeed6 GT in Black Mica
AutoEXE | Cobb | Corksport | Gram Lights | H&R | HKS | SURE | TWM
laraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:10 PM   #4
stephanie
F1 Driver

[quote author=LaraW link=topic=85069.msg1606613#msg1606613 date=1186070790]
Make the bride pay for it. It's ridiculous when people get stuck with dresses from cancelled weddings.
[/quote]

That's what a few people have told me but is there really a tasteful way to ask her to reimburse me?

[quote author=Tiffany @ Showcase link=topic=85069.msg1606609#msg1606609 date=1186070722]
I say sell it. You would be surprised how well something like that can sell on ebay.

I sold my slip and such from my wedding for about what I paid for it. And it sold in 6 days.
[/quote]

I never really have luck with eBay.. I always end up selling stuff for way less than what I paid for it I guess someone could use it as a prom dress though... I'll take a look & see if there are any other bridesmaids dresses up for sale & see what they're going for I guess.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:12 PM   #5
Tiffany
F1 Driver

Send a message via MSN to Tiffany

Exactly. I agree.....you should not have to pay for it. But you know how things go.

I say put it on ebay or craigslist. Put it up for $150.00 and see where it goes.

[center][url=http://www.xtremevwparts.com]
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:13 PM   #6
laraw
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to laraw

Unfortunately there really isn't a tasteful way to get her to reimburse you.

You could always just ask her what "you" would do with the dress and hope she is responsible enough to take it herself and pick up the tab.

2007 Mazdaspeed6 GT in Black Mica
AutoEXE | Cobb | Corksport | Gram Lights | H&R | HKS | SURE | TWM
laraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:18 PM   #7
stephanie
F1 Driver

[quote author=LaraW link=topic=85069.msg1606634#msg1606634 date=1186071222]
Unfortunately there really isn't a tasteful way to get her to reimburse you.

You could always just ask her what "you" would do with the dress and hope she is responsible enough to take it herself and pick up the tab.
[/quote]

good suggestion Lara!!

I might also see what the other maids are doing with theirs.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:22 PM   #8
Phantom of the Purple
Moped Rider

I would try and round up the other girls dresses and sell them on The Knot. I see a few posts like that and for the most part the dresses sell.

If you're worried about not getting most of your money back, you could find out how long the store credit is good for. You could always buy a few dresses on clearance for other weddings or an special event when you need to get dressed up.

I also agree the bride should pick up the tab on the dresses, but I'm not sure how you'd bring that topic up.

Good luck!
Phantom of the Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:37 PM   #9
stephanie
F1 Driver

I sent another maid a message asking what they were all going to to do with their dresses & she wrote me back:

Quote:
Well,

When you were at the beach I talked Davids into returning my dress and they gave me store credit. I asked them about you guys adn they said they weren't gonna give store credit out but you guys had the two days to bring them in an exchange them.

THEN *bride* said "oh me and chase are getting back together" so they kept their dresses but I still returned mine fuck that im not waiting... but now I have 200 in store credit ... ima buy a wedding dress there on there $99 sale and sell it on ebay.

Call them and see if they can do ne thing... tell them that you were at the beach on a 3 week vacation when all the returns were "able" to be done. Just call and ask them what they can do... tell them *groom* is a crazy fuck and there will be NO wedding!
What I wrote back...

Quote:
thats so aggrivating... I knew you'd be pissed because you were the last one she asked to be a bridesmaid... & I felt kind of like I was just a 'filler' because I mean I've been friends with *bride* for a few years but we've never been super close? so it was just a waste of $200 for someone I hand out with maybe once every few months.

well maybe since my dress has never even been out of the bag & stil lhas all of the tags on I can get a little bit out of it... i just would like to think that if I asked my friends to be in MY wedding & then I cancelled I would be happy to pay them back a little bit....
Old 08-03-2007, 12:34 PM   #10
stephanie
F1 Driver

Alright I just listed the dress on eBay... I started bidding at $9.99 & BIN is $125... I'm also including the jewelery & gloves for free... I added it all up & it was $257.58 after taxes... soooo good deal or no? remind me to never commit to being a bridesmaid again......
Advertisement

SmallVolvos.com > Misc > Lounge > Ladies Lounge